The Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) is beginning construction of the new Balfour Road Interchange at Highway 4. The Balfour Road and Highway 4 intersection is currently signalized, resulting in traffic backups during peak commute times. This project will replace the at-grade intersection with a new interchange at this location.
This is the final phase of bypass construction to improve traffic flow on Highway 4. The bypass projects on Highway 4 were developed cooperatively among the Contra Costa Transportation Authority, and the cities of Brentwood, Antioch, and Oakley to ease traffic congestion along Highway 4. To view a video rendering of the interchange, please watch below.
Project Milestone Achieved
The Balfour Road Interchange project passed another milestone last week when concrete was poured for a new bridge deck that will be one of the new on-ramps for the future interchange. Check out some amazing images and a 30-second timelapse showing the construction team finishing the concrete.
- To view the timelapse video, please visit Bridge Deck Pour Timelapse.
- To view the images, please visit Photos.
To view more video renderings, please visit Videos.
To view monthly construction progress photos, please visit Photos.
The new overpass will:
- Reduce traffic congestion
- Enhance motorist, cyclist and pedestrian safety
Construction work continues on Balfour Road and the surrounding area Monday through Friday with occasional weekend work, as needed. Please see the hours listed below. At least one lane in each direction remains open at all times on Balfour Road.
Daytime construction activities on Balfour Road take place behind concrete barriers. Daytime lane closures on Balfour Road, when required, will be limited to the hours of 8:30 am and 2:30 pm when local schools are in session.
There will be no construction work on Balfour Road and the surrounding area during Thanksgiving weekend, Thursday, November 23rd through Sunday, November 26th.
Construction signs are in place along Highway 4 and Balfour Road. Please anticipate delays during your regular commute and upcoming travel.
Upcoming Construction Activities*
- Anticipated Construction Hours:
Monday, November 20th to Wednesday, November 23rd: 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Friday, November 17th to Saturday, November 18th: 8:00 pm to 8:00 am
- Sunday, November 19th to Monday, November 20th: 5:00 pm to 5:00 am
- Monday, November 20th and Tuesday, November 21st: 8:00 pm to 5:00 am
- No nighttime work will take place on the evening before Thanksgiving.
- Upcoming Lane Closure
- Lane closures will be in place during traffic shift on Balfour Road tentatively scheduled for November 29th.
- Anticipated Construction Work
- Continue to widen Balfour Road to the north, behind concrete barriers.
- Continue to install drainage and electrical systems on Balfour Road.
- Install bridge piles at the southwest corner of Highway 4 and Balfour Road.
- There will be an increase in noise level while work is being performed.
*All construction work is subject to weather conditions.
Costs and Funding
The total construction budget is $42.7 million. Funding sources for this project include Measure J, the East Contra Costa Regional Fee and Financing Authority (ECCRFFA), and Contra Costa Water District (CCWD).
Construction will begin in Spring 2017 and is expected to be complete in late 2019. Check back here for future updates on construction activities and traffic detours.
To download a fact sheet about the Balfour Road Interchange project, please click below.
To sign up for the project notification list, please email BalfourRoadInterchange@gmail.com.
Questions? Call the project hotline at: (925) 756-0721
Follow along at: