The Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) is constructing a new Balfour Road Interchange at Highway 4. The Balfour Road and Highway 4 intersection is currently signalized, resulting in traffic backups during peak commute times. This project will replace the at-grade intersection with a new interchange at this location.
This is the final phase of bypass construction to improve traffic flow on Highway 4. The bypass projects on Highway 4 were developed cooperatively among the Contra Costa Transportation Authority, and the cities of Brentwood, Antioch, and Oakley to ease traffic congestion along Highway 4. To view a video rendering of the new interchange, please watch below.
Newly constructed eastbound lanes open to the public
The Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) completed another stage of construction on the Balfour Road Interchange Project, and opened newly constructed lanes to the public the weekend of July 20-22, 2018. A traffic switch occurred to move eastbound Highway 4 drivers onto the newly built, elevated alignment over Balfour Road. Additionally, eastbound Highway 4 motorists are now able to use newly constructed on and off-ramps. A new signal is activated at the intersection of Balfour Road and the new off-ramp, and directional signage is in place to help inform motorists.
Visualizations of the new eastbound traffic flow, as well as the new on- and off-ramps can be viewed online at:
2017 Construction Highlights
The Balfour Road Interchange project passed another milestone in October, 2017 when concrete was poured for a new bridge deck that will be one of the new on-ramps for the future interchange. Check out some amazing images and a 30-second timelapse showing the construction team finishing the concrete.
- To view the timelapse video, please visit Bridge Deck Pour Timelapse.
- To view the images, please visit Photos.
Construction crews also recently completed another project milestone in December, 2017 by installing the girders, which are precast concrete support beam bridges, for the Deer Creek Bridge. This is the next step in the completion of Deer Creek Bridge on the Balfour Interchange.
To view more video renderings, please visit Videos.
To view monthly construction progress photos, please visit Photos.
Construction work continues on Balfour Road and the surrounding area from Monday through Friday with occasional weekend work, as needed. At least one lane in each direction will remain open at all times on Balfour Road.
Daytime construction activities on Highway 4 take place behind concrete barriers. Daytime lane closures on Balfour Road, when required, will be limited to the hours of 8:30 am through 2:30 pm when local schools are in session.
- Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Monday, November 12, 2018 through Friday, November 16, 2018 from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am
Upcoming Lane Closures
- The new westbound loop on-ramp will be open to traffic on the night of Monday, November 12, 2018 after it is striped on Monday. In preparation for this traffic switch, construction crews will be placing final lift of asphalt concrete on westbound Highway 4 mainline between the new westbound off- ramp and the existing westbound Highway 4 on ramp. During the paving operations, which will take place on Saturday, November 10, 2018 and Sunday, November 11, 2018 through traffic on westbound Highway 4 will be detoured between the two ramps from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- In addition, there will be a rolling closure on the westbound Highway 4 mainline on Monday, November 12, 2018 for pavement delineation. Expect delays on Highway 4 during these closures, use of alternate route highly suggested.
- Watch for intermittent nighttime lane closures on Balfour Road starting Monday, November 12, 2018 through Friday, November 16, 2018, from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am.
- Construction crews will be working on the drainage systems on Balfour Road.
- Watch for intermittent lane closures on Balfour Road starting Monday, November 12, 2018 through Friday, November 16, 2018 from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm.
- Construction crews will be slope paving on the Balfour Bridge slope and on the sidewalk, curb and gutter on Balfour Road. Crew will also work on the surface and base removal on Balfour Road.
Construction signs are in place along Highway 4 and Balfour Road. Please anticipate delays during your regular commute.
Costs and Funding
The total construction budget is $42.7 million. Funding sources for this project include Measure J, the East Contra Costa Regional Fee and Financing Authority (ECCRFFA), and Contra Costa Water District (CCWD).
Construction will begin in Spring 2017 and is expected to be complete in late 2018 or early 2019. Check back here for future updates on construction activities and traffic detours.
To download a fact sheet about the Balfour Road Interchange project, please click below.
To sign up for the project notification list, please email BalfourRoadInterchange@gmail.com.
Questions? Call the project hotline at: (925) 756-0721
Follow along at: