The Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) is constructing a new Balfour Road Interchange at Highway 4. The Balfour Road and Highway 4 intersection is currently signalized, resulting in traffic backups during peak commute times. This project will replace the at-grade intersection with a new interchange at this location.
This is the final phase of bypass construction to improve traffic flow on Highway 4. The bypass projects on Highway 4 were developed cooperatively among the Contra Costa Transportation Authority, and the cities of Brentwood, Antioch, and Oakley to ease traffic congestion along Highway 4. To view a video rendering of the new interchange, please watch below.
Newly constructed eastbound lanes open to the public
The Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) completed another stage of construction on the Balfour Road Interchange Project, and opened newly constructed lanes to the public the weekend of July 20-22, 2018. A traffic switch occurred to move eastbound Highway 4 drivers onto the newly built, elevated alignment over Balfour Road. Additionally, eastbound Highway 4 motorists are now able to use newly constructed on and off-ramps. A new signal is activated at the intersection of Balfour Road and the new off-ramp, and directional signage is in place to help inform motorists.
Visualizations of the new eastbound traffic flow, as well as the new on- and off-ramps can be viewed online at:
2017 Construction Highlights
The Balfour Road Interchange project passed another milestone in October, 2017 when concrete was poured for a new bridge deck that will be one of the new on-ramps for the future interchange. Check out some amazing images and a 30-second timelapse showing the construction team finishing the concrete.
- To view the timelapse video, please visit Bridge Deck Pour Timelapse.
- To view the images, please visit Photos.
Construction crews also recently completed another project milestone in December, 2017 by installing the girders, which are precast concrete support beam bridges, for the Deer Creek Bridge. This is the next step in the completion of Deer Creek Bridge on the Balfour Interchange.
To view more video renderings, please visit Videos.
To view monthly construction progress photos, please visit Photos.
Construction work continues on Balfour Road and the surrounding area from Monday through Friday with occasional weekend work, as needed. At least one lane in each direction will remain open at all times on Balfour Road.
Daytime construction activities on Highway 4 take place behind concrete barriers. Daytime lane closures on Balfour Road, when required, will be limited to the hours of 8:30 am through 2:30 pm when local schools are in session.
There will be no work from Saturday, December 22, 2018 through Tuesday, December 25, 2018 for the Christmas Holiday.
Construction crews will be working Wednesday, December 26, 2018 through Saturday, December 29, 2018. Balfour Road will be open to traffic, but expect delays and crews will be guiding traffic.
- Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
- There will be no scheduled night work for the next 3 weeks.
Upcoming Lane Closures
- Watch for intermittent lane closures on westbound Balfour Road starting Monday, December 17, 2018 through Friday, December 21, 2018 from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm.
- Construction crews will be working on installation of slope pavers under the Balfour Road bridge.
- Watch for intermittent lane closures on eastbound Balfour Road starting Monday, December 17, 2018 through Friday, December 21, 2018 from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm.
- Construction crews will be grading for slope pavers under the Balfour Road bridge and forming, pouring and surveying the curb on Balfour Road.
- Watch for intermittent lane closures on Balfour Road starting Monday, December 17, 2018 through Friday, December 21, 2018 from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm.
- Construction crews will be forming, pouring, surveying the median curb and gutter on Balfour Road.
Construction signs are in place along Highway 4 and Balfour Road. Please anticipate delays during your regular commute.
Costs and Funding
The total construction budget is $42.7 million. Funding sources for this project include Measure J, the East Contra Costa Regional Fee and Financing Authority (ECCRFFA), and Contra Costa Water District (CCWD).
Construction will begin in Spring 2017 and is expected to be complete in late 2018 or early 2019. Check back here for future updates on construction activities and traffic detours.
To download a fact sheet about the Balfour Road Interchange project, please click below.
To sign up for the project notification list, please email BalfourRoadInterchange@gmail.com.
Questions? Call the project hotline at: (925) 756-0721
Follow along at: