The Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) is beginning construction of the new Balfour Road Interchange at Highway 4. The Balfour Road and Highway 4 intersection is currently signalized, resulting in traffic backups during peak commute times. This project will replace the at-grade intersection with a new interchange at this location.
This is the final phase of bypass construction to improve traffic flow on Highway 4. The bypass projects on Highway 4 were developed cooperatively among the Contra Costa Transportation Authority, and the cities of Brentwood, Antioch, and Oakley to ease traffic congestion along Highway 4. To view a video rendering of the interchange, please watch below.
To view more video renderings, please visit Videos.
The new overpass will:
- Reduce traffic congestion
- Enhance motorist, cyclist and pedestrian safety
Day work, weekend work and pile driving on Balfour Road starting soon!
Daytime construction on Balfour Road will begin the week of July 17th for the Balfour Road Interchange Project. Daytime work will include reduced lanes on Balfour Road; one lane in each direction will remain open at all times. Crews will be working from 5 am to 8 pm Mondays through Fridays.
Construction signs are in place along Highway 4 and Balfour Road. Please anticipate delays during your regular commute and upcoming travel.
Upcoming Construction Activities*
- Mondays – Fridays: Day work from 5 am – 8 pm or Night work from 8 pm – 5 am
- Fridays – Saturdays: Day work from 5 am – 5 pm on Fridays or Night work from 8 pm – 5 am
- Night work on Balfour Road will continue this weekend, Friday, July 14th – Sunday, July 16th. Please anticipate delays while travelling in the evening hours. Work will occur:
- 8 pm on Friday, July 14th to 8 am on Saturday, July 15th
- 6 pm on Saturday, July 15th to 9 am on Sunday, July 16th
- 5 pm on Sunday, July 16th to 4 am on Monday, July 17th
- Pile driving work on Balfour Road will begin on July 24, 2017, between the hours of 6:30 am and 8 pm. There will be an increase in noise level while the work is being performed. Pile driving is part of foundation work for the Bridge over Balfour Road. The pile driving work will take approximately 1 week to complete.
Highway 4 Eastbound:
- Mondays – Thursdays: Night work from 9 pm – 5 am
- Fridays: Night work from 10 pm – 6 am Saturdays
- Saturdays: Night work from 9 pm Saturdays – 8 am Sundays
Highway 4 Westbound:
- Mondays – Thursdays: Night work from 8 pm – 4 am
- Fridays: Night work from 9 pm Fridays – 7 am Saturdays
- Saturdays: Night work from 8 pm Saturdays – 8 am Sundays
*All construction work subject to weather conditions.
Costs and Funding
The total construction budget is $42.7 million. Funding sources for this project include Measure J, the East Contra Costa Regional Fee and Financing Authority (ECCRFFA), and Contra Costa Water District (CCWD).
Construction will begin in Spring 2017 and is expected to be complete in late 2019. Check back here for future updates on construction activities and traffic detours.
To download a fact sheet about the Balfour Road Interchange project, please click below.
To sign up for the project notification list, please email BalfourRoadInterchange@gmail.com.
Questions? Call the project hotline at: (925) 756-0721
Follow along at: