The Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) is beginning construction of the new Balfour Road Interchange at Highway 4. The Balfour Road and Highway 4 intersection is currently signalized, resulting in traffic backups during peak commute times. This project will replace the at-grade intersection with a new interchange at this location.
This is the final phase of bypass construction to improve traffic flow on Highway 4. The bypass projects on Highway 4 were developed cooperatively among the Contra Costa Transportation Authority, and the cities of Brentwood, Antioch, and Oakley to ease traffic congestion along Highway 4. To view a video rendering of the interchange, please watch below.
To view more video renderings, please visit Videos.
To view monthly construction progress photos, please visit Photos.
The new overpass will:
- Reduce traffic congestion
- Enhance motorist, cyclist and pedestrian safety
Construction work continues on Balfour Road and the surrounding area on weekdays with occasional weekend work as needed. Please see below for hours. At least one lane in each direction remains open at all times on Balfour Road.
Daytime construction activities on Balfour Road will take place behind concrete barriers. Daytime lane closures on Balfour Road, when required, will be limited to the hours of 9:30 am and 2:00 pm.
Construction signs are in place along Highway 4 and Balfour Road. Please anticipate delays during your regular commute and upcoming travel.
Upcoming Construction Activities*
- Anticipated Construction Hours:
- Monday – Friday: Daytime work from 6:30 am to 3:30 pm.
- Night work
- First week of October, night work will take place Monday through Friday from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am and 8:00 pm Friday night to 8:00 am Saturday morning with no lane closures anticipated.
- Upcoming Pile Driving
- Installation of piles at the southwest corner of Highway 4 and Balfour Road.
- Pile driving will begin in mid-October with a one-week duration.
- This work will be performed out of the traveled way. Two lanes will remain open in each direction on Balfour Road. Some possible intermittent traffic control will allow construction vehicles to enter and exit the work area.
- Anticipated Construction Work
- Widen Balfour Road to the north, behind concrete barriers.
- Construct abutment for new bridge support.
*All construction work subject to weather conditions.
Costs and Funding
The total construction budget is $42.7 million. Funding sources for this project include Measure J, the East Contra Costa Regional Fee and Financing Authority (ECCRFFA), and Contra Costa Water District (CCWD).
Construction will begin in Spring 2017 and is expected to be complete in late 2019. Check back here for future updates on construction activities and traffic detours.
To download a fact sheet about the Balfour Road Interchange project, please click below.
To sign up for the project notification list, please email BalfourRoadInterchange@gmail.com.
Questions? Call the project hotline at: (925) 756-0721
Follow along at: