The Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) is beginning construction of the new Balfour Road Interchange at Highway 4. The Balfour Road and Highway 4 intersection is currently signalized, resulting in traffic backups during peak commute times. This project will replace the at-grade intersection with a new interchange at this location.
This is the final phase of bypass construction to improve traffic flow on Highway 4. The bypass projects on Highway 4 were developed cooperatively among the Contra Costa Transportation Authority, and the cities of Brentwood, Antioch, and Oakley to ease traffic congestion along Highway 4. To view a video rendering of the interchange, please watch below.
Project Milestone Reached!
The Balfour Road Interchange project passed another milestone in October, 2017 when concrete was poured for a new bridge deck that will be one of the new on-ramps for the future interchange. Check out some amazing images and a 30-second timelapse showing the construction team finishing the concrete.
- To view the timelapse video, please visit Bridge Deck Pour Timelapse .
- To view the images, please visit Photos .
Construction crews also recently completed another project milestone in December, 2017 by installing the girders, which are precast concrete support beam bridges, for the Deer Creek Bridge. This is the next step in the completion of Deer Creek Bridge on the Balfour Interchange.
Construction crews recently completed the next step of the Balfour Road Bridge by installing girders, which are precast concrete support beams in February, 2018.
To view more video renderings, please visit Videos .
To view monthly construction progress photos, please visit Photos .
The new overpass will:
- Reduce traffic congestion
- Enhance motorist, cyclist and pedestrian safety
Construction work continues on Balfour Road and the surrounding area from Monday through Friday with occasional weekend work, as needed. At least one lane in each direction will remain open at all times on Balfour Road. Please see the hours listed below under Anticipated Construction Hours.
Daytime construction activities on Highway 4 take place behind concrete barriers. Daytime lane closures on Balfour Road, when required, will be limited to the hours of 8:30 am through 2:30 pm when local schools are in session.
Construction signs are in place along Highway 4 and Balfour Road. Please anticipate delays during your regular commute.
Upcoming Construction Activities
All construction work is subject to weather conditions.
Anticipated Construction Hours
- Monday through Friday from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm
- There will be no nighttime work on Balfour Road from Monday, May 21, 2018 through Sunday, May 27, 2018.
Additional Information Regarding Construction Work
- Pedestrian access on Balfour Road is located on the north side of the sidewalk. The south side of the sidewalk is closed. See the graphic below for further explanation:
- Construction crews will continue work on the Deer Creek Bridge at the Eastbound Highway 4 on-ramp on Monday, May 21, 2018 and from Thursday, May 24, 2018 through Friday, May 25, 2018.
- This work will occur off the roadway.
- Construction crews will be working on the drainage systems on Balfour Road from Thursday, May 24, 2018 through Friday, May 25, 2018.
- This work will occur off the roadway.
Costs and Funding
The total construction budget is $42.7 million. Funding sources for this project include Measure J, the East Contra Costa Regional Fee and Financing Authority (ECCRFFA), and Contra Costa Water District (CCWD).
Construction will begin in Spring 2017 and is expected to be complete in late 2018. Check back here for future updates on construction activities and traffic detours.
To download a fact sheet about the Balfour Road Interchange project, please click below.
To sign up for the project notification list, please email BalfourRoadInterchange@gmail.com .
Questions? Call the project hotline at: (925) 756-0721
Follow along at: