The Hillcrest Avenue segment is the fifth and final construction segment along the main project corridor, ending in the city of Antioch. The project will widen the highway from four to eight lanes, including three mixed flow lanes and one High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane. The project includes a median wide enough to accommodate mass transit (BART), as well as provisions for a new BART station just east of Hillcrest Avenue.
Bay Cities/Myers, Joint Venture
CONSTRUCTION ALLOCATED BUDGET
Construction began in March 2013 and the segment is expected to be open to traffic in the summer of 2016.
PROJECT UPDATE – September 2015
- Switch the westbound traffic to the newly constructed westbound interior lanes and ramps to allow the construction of the remaining westbound and eastbound lanes-Fall 2015
- Switch the eastbound off ramp traffic to the newly constructed interior eastbound off ramp to allow the construction remaining of the eastbound off ramp improvements-Fall 2015
Recently Completed Work:
- Completed the construction of the BART Maintenance Tunnel.
- Erected the BART public overcrossing.
- Completed the construction of retaining walls and sound walls at various locations on the project.
- Completed the construction of the temporary westbound off ramp.
- Completed the first phase of the Slatten Ranch widening.
- Complete the construction of the Hillcrest Bridge Superstructure.
- Continue the construction of retaining walls at various locations on the project.
- Continue the electrical work at various locations on the project.
- Continue the construction of the BART Station Platform, Entry House and Pedestrian Overcrossing.
- Complete the construction of the new SR4 westbound off ramp and the westbound lanes between the SR4/SR160 connector ramp and Hillcrest Avenue.
- Remove the temporary westbound off ramp and start construction of the modular detention system and the new westbound loop on ramp.
- Construct the new westbound lanes under the Hillcrest bridge.