The Hillcrest Avenue segment is the fifth and final construction segment along the main project corridor, ending in the city of Antioch. The project will widen the highway from four to eight lanes, including three mixed flow lanes and one High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane. The project includes a median wide enough to accommodate mass transit (BART), as well as provisions for a new BART station just east of Hillcrest Avenue.
Bay Cities/Myers, Joint Venture
CONSTRUCTION ALLOCATED BUDGET
Construction began in March 2013 and the segment is expected to be open to traffic in the summer of 2016.
PROJECT UPDATE – November 2015
- Switch the westbound traffic to the newly constructed westbound interior lanes and ramps to allow the construction of the remaining westbound and eastbound lanes-Fall 2015
Recently Completed Work:
- Opened the new westbound off ramp and removed the existing temporary off ramp.
- Completed the interior portion of the eastbound off ramp.
- Completed the Slatten Ranch widening improvements.
- Completed the construction of the BART Maintenance Tunnel.
- Erected the BART public overcrossing.
- Completed the construction of retaining walls and sound walls at various locations on the project.
- Completed the construction of the temporary westbound off ramp.
- Completed the first phase of the Slatten Ranch widening.
- Completed construction of the modular detention system.
- Complete the construction of the Hillcrest Bridge Superstructure.
- Continue the construction of retaining walls at various locations on the project.
- Continue the electrical work at various locations on the project.
- Continue the construction of the BART Station Platform, Entry House and Pedestrian Overcrossing.
- Complete construction of the new Hillcrest westbound loop on ramp.
- Construct the new westbound lanes under the Hillcrest bridge.