The Hillcrest Avenue segment is the fifth and final construction segment along the main project corridor, ending in the city of Antioch. The project will widen the highway from four to eight lanes, including three mixed flow lanes and one High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane. The project includes a median wide enough to accommodate mass transit (BART), as well as provisions for a new BART station just east of Hillcrest Avenue.
Bay Cities/Myers, Joint Venture
CONSTRUCTION ALLOCATED BUDGET
Construction began in March 2013 and the segment is expected to be open to traffic in the summer of 2016.
PROJECT UPDATE – May 2016
- Opening the westbound SR4 to full capacity between the SR4 / SR160 connector ramp and A Street / Lone Tree Way on May 4, 2016
- Opening the eastbound SR4 exit ramp to full capacity ( 2 exit lanes at SR4 and 5 lanes at the Hillcrest Avenue) on May 1, 2016
- Opening the eastbound SR4 freeway to full capacity between Cavallo Road and the SR4/SR160 connector ramp on May 2, 2016
- Opening the westbound SR4 entrance ramp to full capacity ( for southbound traffic) at Hillcrest Avenue on May 10, 2016
Recently Completed Work:
- Switched the eastbound SR4 traffic to the newly completed No. 1 and No. 2 lanes between the eastbound on and off ramps at Hillcrest Avenue.
- Switched the eastbound on ramp traffic to the new outside lanes to complete construction of the remaining eastbound on ramp
- Switched the westbound traffic onto a portion of the new westbound lanes.
- Switched the eastbound off ramp traffic to the outside lanes to allow construction of the remaining portion of the eastbound off ramp.
- Opened the new westbound off ramp and removed the existing temporary off ramp.
- Completed the interior portion of the eastbound off ramp.
- Completed the Slatten Ranch widening improvements.
- Completed the construction of the BART Maintenance Tunnel.
- Erected the BART public overcrossing.
- Completed the construction of retaining walls and sound walls at various locations on the project.
- Completed the construction of the temporary westbound off ramp.
- Completed the first phase of the Slatten Ranch widening.
- Completed construction of the modular detention system.
- Completed the construction of the new westbound loop on ramp.
- Complete the construction of the Hillcrest Bridge Superstructure.
- Continue the electrical work at various locations on the project.
- Complete reconstructing of the westbound on ramp.
- Continue the intersection improvements at the Hillcrest Avenue/ E. Tregallas Road / Larkspur Drive Road intersection.
- Complete the construction of the final portion of the eastbound on ramp and adjoining Hillcrest Avenue widening improvements.
- Complete the intersection Improvements at the Sunset Drive/ Hillcrest Avenue intersection.