The Somersville Road/Auto Center Drive segment is the second construction segment along the corridor, between Loveridge Road and Contra Loma Boulevard/L Street. The project will expand the highway from four to eight lanes, including three mixed flow lanes and one High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane, from just west of Somersville Road to just west of Contra Loma Boulevard/L Street. The project includes the reconstruction of the Somersville Road/Auto Center Dr. interchange, freeway auxiliary lanes, and a median wide enough to accommodate mass transit (eBART).
R&L Brosamer, Inc.
CONSTRUCTION ALLOCATED BUDGET
Construction began in March 2011 and the segment is expected to be open to traffic in early 2014.
PROJECT UPDATE – DECEMBER 2013
- The Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) and Caltrans are currently working to finalize a plan to open all available lanes of traffic on Highway 4 in the westbound direction to the west of Contra Loma Boulevard/L Street in early 2014, possibly by the end of 2013.
- Estimated Completion of Major Work – late 2013
Recently Completed Work:
- Restriped eastbound Highway 4 to open additional lanes of traffic from Loveridge Road to Contra Loma Boulevard/L Street.
- Reconstructed northbound Somersville Road at the intersection of Delta Fair Boulevard.
- Performed final striping of Somersville Road/Auto Center Drive between Delta Fair Boulevard and Century Boulevard.
- Installed rumble strips on Highway 4 and on/off ramps at Somersville Road/Auto Center Drive.
- Complete all major work on the project.
- Perform final cleanup and miscellaneous activities at various locations on the project.
- Complete installation of electrical systems at various locations on the project.